Thursday, May 24, 2012

Video Games, Street Vendor Challenge, and VIP status

This morning we had both culture and language class! In the culture class we learned about the many types of religions in Vietnam. I learned that there are a few different types of Buddhism and how much they actually differ from each other. It was interesting learning the specifics of a religion so unlike my own. Next was my favorite part of the day, language class! We learned common questions and answers in Vietnamese. My knowledge of the Vietnamese is getting bigger and bigger.. when I get back to Pittsburgh I want to take a class to expand it even more!

In the afternoon, we traveled to Glass Egg Media in District Four. We met with the CEO and CFO of the company. They took us up to the 17th floor and we were able to take picture of a pretty awesome view. How cool would it have been to have an office like that? Phil Tran, the CEO, was talking to us about the location. He said that District 4 did not have the greatest reputation, he compared it to the Bronx of Ho Chi Minh. He said there was a lot of corruption and a group resembling an American mob. Next they took us on a tour of their company. I couldn't help but think that this was definitely a place I wouldn't mind working. Glass Egg is responsible for video game production and design. They have provided huge video game companies with the cars, people, and environments in their games. They were also creating the code for a few games for the iPad. As we were walking around I was checking out the codes of some of the employees there. Most of them usual Microsoft Visual Studios... I guess we actually do use some of the stuff we learn! Similar to Tung Bach of Ascenx Technologies, Phil Tran was also a refugee during the Vietnam War. His family was forced to flee and he did not return until the embargo was lifted.

For dinner, our UEF friends took us to a "street vendor". But it was not what I was expecting. As Ho Chi Minh City has grown and modernized, street vendors have moved off the streets. We all ordered chicken and sticky rice. The food was some of the best I had all trip. Tuan also ordered me a drink that he said translates to sweet porridge. I was nervous to drink it though. It looked like an aquarium and I could have sworn there was something living in it. But when I tried it, it was delicious! It tasted like a better version of Arizona sweet tea. I'm glad I looked past the appearance to try it. After the street vendor, we went to the New York Dessert Cafe for some cheesecake. I got mango cheesecake.. it was very good. Next, some of us hung out for a bit longer at a local Vietnamese mall. Not gonna lie, I thought that this mall was nicer than most of the malls I've been to back in the US. After we said hện gặp lại to our UEF friends, we headed to Lush. Lush is owned by Glass Egg Media. Because we had talked to their CEO and CFO, they called the club manager and got us into the VIP section! It was a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment